...Register Now »
I will be your guide through this childlike play and give you some tools....literal and figurative to achieve a looseness and rawness just as kids do. Paint free and uninhibited!
About this Course
It took me 4 years to paint like Raphael and a lifetime to paint like a child - Picasso
It is so true. Children are true artists in every sense of the word. They don't question themselves and have such a raw quality to how they create. To get back to that place of creating like a child is my ultimate goal as an artist. I believe through working in a journal, the walls are a bit broken down. I feel more at ease with playing and not worrying about the outcome. If I find myself getting to tight, I reach for my favorite tool!! (more about this in class!)
I will be your guide through this childlike play and give you some tools....literal and figurative to achieve a looseness and rawness just as kids do. I still struggle with staying loose, but it is where I want to be. I don't think there is any right or wrong way to create art or journal. It is about bringing a child-like mind to the table and playing for the sake of playing. It's about getting quiet and listening to what we need to journal about. It is healing for us. We don't have to carry around all that makes up our past....or present for that matter. We can come to the page and release what is there....whether it be negative or positive. To release is to give life to the positive and bury the negative. That is the beauty of art. It fixes. It saves. It is my realm of sanity.
It is my continuing effort to stay child-like and with a beginners spirit in my art making. As adults, we practice and hone our skills to get our art making to a level where we are satisfied. What if we unlearned everything for a bit. But how? How do we let go and just allow what is coming through us and release it without judgement? I know I am a work in progress and hopefully always will be! I love this idea of letting loose and creating from the heart of our 8 year old selves. My 8 year old self is actually more confident...more in tune with spirit....and less stressed.
My hope for you....and me...is to harness the power of our child-selves and play....and forgive...and celebrate the looseness of creativity.
Please have your children join in on the fun as well. They will surely inspire. And if not, join in and give yourself permission to just play and be.
I'll give you lots of ideas and prompts to carry you through this journaling escape. Come with a child-like beginners mind and let's PLAY!!
- Class begins June 6, 2016 (self study after that date. sign up anytime)
- Early Registration $35 now through May 16th.
- Regular registration $49 starts May 17th.
- 5 full projects (including 4 journal spreads and the cover)
- new techniques and happy accidents
- check out teaser video here: https://youtu.be/4ZmagD_FoZg
- lifetime access (as long as I have this platform)
- projects will post mondays, wednesdays, and fridays.
- hashtag sharing on instagram (no FB group)
Paint free and uninhibited!
- dick blick matte acrylics - colors that you are drawn to. (I love amethyst, dark blue deep, orange light, yellow oxide, blue light, green blue light, white)
- strathmore mixed media journal - 7x9 size or any journal with thick pages.
- stabilo graphite pencil
- faber castell soft pastels - small set is fine
- sharpie paint pen - fine point white
- signo black gel pen
- catalyst wedge - no. 6 gray one (my favorite tool!)
- donna downey inspiration stamps - here or here
- black gesso
- target - avocado (aka "green olive")
- lyra big graphite pencil - 9b or 6b
- prismacolor colored pencils - a few of your favorite colors. I like turquoise, red, and olive green (artichoke)
- caran d'ache neocolor iis - a few colors you love or a small set
- titanium white matte - golden (or you can use the dick blick matte white)
- titan buff golden - or any off white
- white gesso - i adore utrecht brand
- gallery neon pastels
- any matte glue such as mod podge matte or collage pauge matte
- deli paper - in my etsy or available in bulk on amazon (I have heard of some students finding this at costco. But please do not use wax paper. It will not glue down. I have 10 sheets available in my etsy shop for you to try before investing in a huge box)