About this course
This course will be offered again in September of 2019
In this one-on-one basic design intensive, individualized coursework is designed to help YOU see your artwork in a whole new way. As you learn to systematically analyze your work using the Elements and Principles of art as your foundation, you will begin to understand your own unique design process.
Becoming fluent in the visual language lets you critique your composition in process and arrive more quickly at a successful design.
There are only 6 spots available - sign up now!
Lyric is taking on a very limited number of students to ensure that each has her full attention.
Introductory and evaluation materials for the class will be available beginning August 5th, 2019 and will be due by September 1st.
The first lessons will open September 2, 2019.
A minimum of two weeks between each assignment gives you time to work deeply into your art, in the comfort of your own workspace. Coursework and calls will be completed by ?.
This course is for you if:
- You are serious about advancing your work as an artist
- You wish to grow past your current level
- You wish to become confident in your ability to analyze your artwork
- You have a desire to seriously engage in your artistic practice for a sustained period of time
"Lyric made the mystery of art easy to understand. I've gained confidence in being able to describe and analyze what I'm seeing, whether it is my own work or the work of other artists. Now I better understand why something is or is not working in a composition and my own art has grown and improved as a result."
As a part of the course curriculum each student (within the states) will be sent a copy of Lyric's book to use as a study guide. International students will receive a link to a digital copy of the book.
What to expect from Lyric:
- The course begins with a series of questionnaires that help Lyric understand what it is YOU need from this course
- You will have six individualized lessons designed to help you develop your artist's eye
- Two of those lessons will be private video conference calls
- You will have up to two weeks to complete each assignment
- Lyric will work with your availability to schedule assignments and calls (even internationally!)
- Calls can be made through Skype, FaceTime, or GoogleHangouts
- Lessons might include pre-recorded videos and PDF material
- Lyric will check in once each week with comments on assignments you have completed
- Students will have access to a private and moderated FB critique group
- You will be expected to work through a series of design exercises
"This class is the equivalent of a college basic design course! I wanted to spend time truly working on my design skills and Lyric pushed me in a gentle and encouraging way to get really out of my safe little box. She pulled material from her writings and other classes that were exactly what I needed to learn. Her critiques were pointed and accurate but I never felt like I had done something wrong. She makes it easy to understand. I got a little frustrated that she wouldn't tell me how to 'fix' things but she taught me the right questions to ask so that I could see and fix it myself. It was an investment well worth making!"
Early Bird Pricing July 1st through August 1st: $485.00
Full Price after August 2nd: $525
The ability to take sharp, clear photos of your work and upload them to the classroom space.
You should have the technical skills to create your assignments in whatever medium you choose (this class does NOT include technique instruction)
Lyric Montgomery Kinard is an award winning artist with a passion for sparking the creativity that she knows each of her students posses. With playful support and gentle encouragement she will take you through your first steps on a new path, seeing the world through the eyes of an artist. As an artist, author, and educator she transforms cloth into art in her studio and timid spirits into confident creatives in the classroom.
Lyric was recognized for her talents as the 2011 International Association of Professional Quilters Teacher of the Year and is the author of the book Art + Quilt: design principles and creativity exercises. She has written extensively for Quilting Arts Magazine, appeared on Quilting Arts TV, and has two DVD Workshops, Surface Design Sampler Platter, and Bead It Like You Mean It. She has studied with many well known textile artists around the country and continues to expand her skills in the area of surface design. She has a BA in English Literature from the University of Utah and has also formally studied music and architecture. She currently lives in Cary, North Carolina with her husband and some of their five children.
For Lyric's complete Resume please click here.
Class size is very small so that Lyric has time to pay full attention to each student's individual needs. Because of this, once you have paid for your spot Lyric is counting on your participation and there will be no refunds. If there is a waiting list and Lyric is able to fill your spot you will receive a refund minus a $40 processing fee.