About this Course
Join Sara Wickham for a week of online learning, discussion and reflection which will help update you on new birth-related research and thinking. You'll feel refreshed, inspired and full of information and ideas to use in your practice and share with women and families.
Dates: May 4-11, 2018 (with all course materials available for another 14 days after that in case life happens and you need to catch up).
Venue: Your computer (and most of the content is smartphone and tablet friendly too!)
Includes: videos, audios, discussions, loads of downloadable resources, ideas, peer sharing and support, an experienced facilitator and a live webinar.
Click 'Register Now' to book your place.
Or read on to find out more...
The details in depth...
I know from experience that many midwives and birth folk just don't have the time to keep up with all the new birth-related information that is being published. Much of it is not relevant, and some is one-sided or not undertaken from a woman-centred perspective.
It's hard to know what to trust, and it can also be hard to learn the skills that will help you be more discerning in the future.
I am offering a solution to this.
I am a midwife, educator, author and researcher, and it's my job to stay on top of the evidence relating to pregnancy and birth. I have brought together a selection of the key information and research from the past year or so and crafted it into an online course which will help you get up-to-date with the evidence, get to grips with the detail of some of the key debates and enable you to better help women and families.
In this course, you'll be able to:
- Get updated on the latest evidence on many birth-related topics, with the help of video lectures, podcasts, written material, questions and discussions
- Join me and your course colleagues for a live webinar.
- Download printable handouts and worksheets to give you a head start with your notes and reflections.
- Explore the latest research findings in a series of video lectures offering 'research round-ups' on different aspects of pregnancy and birth.
- Learn more about how to read, appraise and carry out research as I explain elements of research in depth.
- Discuss strategies, share information and give and receive support with midwives and birth folk from around the world.
- Learn from real-life stories, scenarios and sharing, not just 'the evidence'.
- Get lots of material to reflect upon in your portfolio (and, of course, a certificate to say you were here!)
- Connect personally with me, as I will be online with you during the facilitated week of the course. You can ask me questions and participate in a live webinar which I will facilitate and which will bring together midwives and birth folk from around the world.
In this particular run of the course, some of the key topics include:
- Videoed research round ups on pregnancy, labour and birth, and postnatal and neonatal wellbeing.
- A look at what's new in childbirth education and doula-related research.
- Focus sections and research updates on topics including sterile water injections, placentophagy and waterbirth.
- New theories and ideas about postpartum haemorrhage, and why it's not always good to estimate fetal weight.
- A focus throughout on woman-centred care, and a discussion on positive ways of addressing negativity.
- A smörgåsbord of resources for discussion and debate.
- 'Stop press' updates if key research emerges during the facilitated week of the course.
- And that's just a taster - there's lots more inside!
If this sounds good to you, just scroll back up and click the 'Register' button to join us :)
Who is it for?
If you are a midwife, midwifery student, birth educator, doula, doctor, medical student, health professional, yoga teacher, birth activist, holistic therapist or birth worker who is woman-centred and interested in updating your knowledge, discussing new research and sharing experiences in a friendly community with myself and a group of like-minded people from around the world, then this course is designed for you.
Other people are very welcome to join us too, but please be aware that this is a professional CPD course and some of the discussions are likely to be technical. The nature of our modern culture requires me to make it clear that nothing that I or any course participant says or writes in this course can be taken to constitute professional midwifery or medical advice and that by signing up to join this course you agree that you understand and accept that.
Who isn't it for?
I don't want you to sign up for this course if it's not right for you! If you already feel that you're really up-to-date with birth-related research, then this probably isn't the course for you. If you don't have a woman-centred approach, you probably won't like what I have to say. And if you like to argue, then you might not enjoy the friendly, supportive community that you'll find in my online courses. We really do care that you pick education that will meet your needs, so if you're not sure if this course is right for you, just flick an email to email@example.com and we'll try to help.
What will you find when you come in?!
Your course includes a range of videos, podcasts, written resources, discussions and links to wider material. Each discussion or topic comes in a separate lesson which means that you can work through the course in manageable, understandable chunks. You'll find printable handouts and other written resources which you can print or download for later personal use if you would like to. The course also includes a webinar where I'll present live and be available to answer your questions. Plus, of course, you'll get to interact with myself and other participants in the discussion threads.
Please be warned though ... this isn't e-learning where you just jump from one written slide to the next! There are twelve hours' worth of high-quality interactive learning material in this course. You can pick and choose what you want to do to suit your own needs, but if you want to make the most of the course, you'll need to set aside some time, ideally in the facilitated week of the course, which is when most of the action and discussion happens.
I want you to feel refreshed, to be heartened by stories and suggestions and support from others, and to feel more secure in your own knowledge and experience.
Just scroll back up and click the registration button above to join us.
Dates for your diary...
All of the course materials will become available to you from Friday 4th May, which means that those of you who have more time at the weekend can begin to work through the course then. I will pop in on that day and over the weekend and then join you more fully in the discussions from Monday morning (7th May) until Friday lunchtime (11th May) ... that's the period that I'm referring to as the facilitated week of the course. During that time I will be available to chat and answer your questions and I will host a live webinar on Wednesday 9th May (9am UK time).
I know your life is busy and you might not get to study everything during the facilitated week of the course, so you'll get to keep access to the materials for a further two weeks after that (until Friday May 25th) in case you need more time to catch up or go over anything. You can also download many of the written resources for personal use.
I can't wait to chat to you on the course! Places are limited though, and course enrollment will close once we are full.
With my very best wishes,
P.S. This is really important!
When you register, you will be sent an email to confirm your registration and welcome you to the course.
******* If you do not receive this email, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately *******
The most likely reasons for not receiving confirmation are that you have accidentally mistyped your email address or that the confirmation email has gone into your spam/junk folder ... if it's there, please add our email address to your 'safe sender' list. We cannot be responsible for this, or for you not being able to access the course/get a refund as a result of this kind of error, and we have no way of getting in touch with you if you have entered your email address incorrectly or if your server won't accept our emails, so please type your email address carefully, check for a confirmation email and get in touch right away if it doesn't arrive!
How much learning is in here?
This course contains 12 hours of learning, which equates to two full days of study. UK-based midwives might like to know that 8 hours of this time qualifies as participatory learning according to the NMC definition of this term. However, you can pick and choose the path you take through the course, and you don't need to do all of it if you'd rather concentrate on particular areas. You can also download some of the reading for personal use later if you prefer.
Do I have to do it all at once?
No; that's the beauty of an online course like this. You get a whole week of facilitated learning and you'll be able to access the materials for a further two weeks after the facilitated week of the course ends in case life happens and you need to catch up. However, we recommend that you try to engage in as many of the discussions as possible during the facilitated week of the course, as this is where a lot of the interaction and the 'a-ha' moments happen!
Will I get a certificate?
Yes, you'll get a certificate for your portfolio at the end of the course.
What have other people said about my online courses?
I'm so glad you asked! ;) Here are some of the comments that previous participants in my online courses have sent...
One of the best aspects of Sara's courses is the feeling of connection she creates. Not only between her and me, but also between all the participants. Even though we are all doing the course in our own place and time it feels like a shared experience. This is especially important for those of us who are feeling like lone voices when it comes to these sort of issues. So I not only want to thank Sara, but all the other participants for an awesome course. I can't wait for Sara's next course. - Midwife and childbirth educator, Australia
It is such a great way to learn, I have been able to link into the course at my local coffee shop, at work and as well as curled up in my cosy lounge, it has made learning far more accessible. Thanks Sara, you are a gift to our profession. - Midwife, Belgium
Another excellent course from Sara. Well presented and structured with the added benefit of being able to work through it at your own pace. As someone who constantly can't attend courses I've paid for because I'm busy looking after women in labour, this approach to learning is invaluable. - Midwife, Ireland
I was drawn to doing this course because I had previously completed Sara's course on 'overdue' pregnancies. Both times I have found them invaluable to back up the information I give to my clients to enable them to make informed choices. It has also increased my confidence in knowing that there is a wealth of resources available for my personal knowledge and to pass on to clients. Thanks again, Sara, Keep them coming! - Doula and Antenatal Educator, England
I really enjoyed how the online course challenged us to look at the topic from various angles and question research and practice to pave way to shift the paradigm of birthing. I also found it really helpful to have an interactive course whilst in the comfort of your own home (or on the go), making it very realistic and doable. - Doula, Singapore
All the small print ... cancellations, transfers and refunds
In a situation where a participant wishes to change or cancel their enrolment in an online course, we offer the following options. A participant may only take up one of these options once.
- If you wish to withdraw from the course up to 14 days after confirmation of your purchase and before the course has started, we will issue a full refund provided the course hasn’t yet started. The refund can only be issued through our payment provider by the means and in the currency that you paid and we cannot compensate for any exchange rate fluctuations. It can take several days to be paid back onto your card.
- If you wish to withdraw from the course more than 14 days after confirmation of your purchase and at least 24 hours before the course has started, we cannot offer a refund, but you can sell/transfer your place to a colleague or friend. We may be able to transfer your place to another course, but this is at our discretion and it will depend on whether and when we plan to run the same course again.
- Refunds are not available once a course has started and you have been given access to the materials. If your circumstances change after you register and/or you think you might experience difficulty completing the course then please let us know at least 24 hours before the course begins. Online courses are like DVDs or CDs in that, once they have been opened (and if you have registered and paid for a course then we will consider that your access to the course will have been opened to you at midnight in your time zone on the start date), they cannot be returned.
All requests for refunds or changes must be submitted by email to email@example.com and not via social media, please, because we can't guarantee that we will see queries there. It is your responsibility to ensure that we have received your email within the stated timeframe, so please email us again if you are unsure.
While we make every effort to run courses as advertised, we are a small, friendly, family-run business so we reserve the right to change course content and timings in the event of unforeseen illness, power outage or other similar issue. Rest assured that, if that ever happens, we'll find a way of making it up to you. We've never needed to cancel a course yet but, if we ever do, we'll give a full refund to participants. We've only ever had lovely people attend our courses but we reserve the right to suspend any student who disrupts the course.
My question isn't answered here!
No worries ... If you have any other questions, just email and ask!
To join us, just scroll back up and click the registration button. The number of places on this course is limited.
Wow, you've read all the way to the bottom - thank you! I hope you'll join us and I look forward to chatting with you in the course! :)