About this Course
The Clayer: Narrative Clay
A 5-Week Master Class E-course
with Diana Fayt
E-course Price $375
April 23rd-May 25th 2018
(Class size is limited)
Are you someone who has a stockpile of techniques that you’ve acquired over the years but when it comes to using them in a way that tells your own story you become overwhelmed? Do you avoid stepping into unknown creative territory because it makes you feel exposed or uncomfortable? Do you spend a lot of time looking at other people’s work and wish you could do what they do? Do you have a brilliant idea one day and then the next day feel like it’s not so brilliant anymore? Or maybe you’ve already established a style and want to try something new? Then you’re in the right place! These questions will be the launch pad for developing your personal visual language and translate those ideas into your work.
During this five-week e-course, we will explore ways to develop our own personal visual language using the techniques you already have in your toolbox. There will be discussions, exchanges, and weekly online check-ins, as well as online weekly prompts to help create new pathways of thinking about how to approach your work.
This e-course is designed to bring out your own unique and original voice in clay.
Diana has been working with clay for nearly 30 years. Her early exploration into ceramics began at a pottery studio in San Francisco and she hasn't stopped since. Diana went on to receive a BFA in Ceramics and Printmaking from California College of the Arts in 1992. After graduating from CCA, Diana taught drawing, printmaking, and ceramics to people of all ages. In 1995 she decided to devote herself completely to her studio practice, where she spent the next 16 years developing her signature process, that combines all of her loves; clay, printmaking, painting, and drawing which she refers to as "Etching in Clay." Diana's work has been featured on the cover of Ceramics Monthly as well as in numerous other publications such as The Journal of Australian Ceramics, American Craft.
Diana has participated in numerous solo and group exhibitions in the U.S., Japan, Australia, and Europe and currently exhibits her work in galleries and fine boutiques throughout the world. In 2010, after a long stretch of solitary studio practice, Diana decided it was time to return to teaching to share her techniques, discoveries, and inspiration with fellow ceramists and artists and has taught workshops at, Clay Push, Australia, Arrowmont School of Crafts, Santa Fe Clay, Metchosin International Summer School of The Arts, The Hawaii Potters Guild, Mudfire Clayworks, Squam Art Workshops, Sierra Nevada College, Heath Ceramics as well as out of her studio and online with Creativebug and online in The Clayer , Diana’s self-created e-courses.
1. I am new to clay is the e-course for me?
This class is geared towards any ceramic artist looking to develop their voice and personal style. It’s recommended that you have some experience in working with clay to get the most out of the e-course.
2. Your previous e-courses were less expensive, why the increase in cost?
The short answer, class size. My previous e-courses had open enrollment, allowing for large class sizes, making it possible for me to offer the classes at a lower price. The Narrative Clay E-course will have a limited enrollment and so I can interact with the class and students in a more personal way.
3. Will there be video tutorials?
This e-course is not technique based but I will include videos of me working in the studio and offer surprise technique demonstrations during the e-course.
4. What materials will I need to take the e-course?
You will need internet access, a computer or iPad or tablet your preferred tools and clay, a sketchbook, and an open mind.
5. Is this a live class or can I watch according to my own schedule?
Both. There will be lessons that you can access at any time plus scheduled live online video meetings that will be announced once the class has begun.
6. What can I expect to get from this e-course?
- Prompts and activities designed to focus on the development of your own personal visual language.
- Development of your own personal lexicon
- Videos of Diana sharing new techniques. These will be geared towards the unique direction of the class.
- Vibrant and insightful discussions and weekly online check-ins.
- Interviews with well-known ceramic and visual artists that will include specific questions on how they developed their voices on their journey towards creating their own unique styles.
- Weekly Virtual Field Trips
- Group Feedback
7. Can I access the e-course via my iPad or tablet?
Yes, you can access the e-course via your iPad, iPhone, and tablets.
8.Do I need a high-speed internet connection?
Yes, you will need a high-speed internet connection to access the e-course and to participate in the video conferences and online demonstrations.
9. Will there be live sessions during the e-course?
Yes, there will be live demonstrations during the five-week class. These will be announced once the e-course has begun.
10. Will I get direct feedback on my work from Diana?
Yes, I will be working closely with you and will be giving direct feedback.
11. Do you offer refunds?
There are no refunds once you sign up as there is password information that cannot be undone. Please be sure you can take the e-course when you sign up.
12. How long does the e-course stay open after it ends?
The e-course will stay open for three additional months after the five-week guided session ends.
13. Do I need to have access to a fully equipped ceramic studio to take this class?
It is highly recommended that you have access to a studio to work in while taking the e-course.
14. Will I have to participate by sharing my thoughts and experiences with others?
This e-course is designed to be an interactive class in which the students actively participate and joining the discussions is recommended.
15. Will I have to share my work with others in the class?
“Have to” no. Recommended, encouraged, we can’t wait to see what you’re doing, then YES! This class is designed to help you develop your voice, so the more you participate the more you will get out of the class.
16. Will you be offering any one-on-one consultations during the e-course?
Not at this time.
17. Our class would like to take your class, do you offer group discounts?
Not at this time. Please note that the registration fee is for one person only. Sharing the class content with a group or other non-registered people is not permitted. I ask that you please respect this policy.
18. What if I do not participate in the class, can I get a credit towards a future class?
There are no credits for non-participation in the class. Participation is your responsibility. Refunds and credits will not be offered.
19. I have some questions, how do I contact you?
Please send all questions to email@example.com.
*In the case of unexpected events, The Clayer reserves the right to reschedule this e-course in its sole discretion. If an e-course is rescheduled, your registration will be valid for the rescheduled event and no refunds will be given.