About this course
INTRODUCTORY ONLINE TRAINING IN EXPRESSIVE ARTS
- Are you ready to begin your training in this field?
- Would you like an expertly-guided entry point that will get you started, so that you can decide what's next?
Enrol in our 8-week online self-study journey into the field of Expressive Arts, and get started in making creative changes in your life and work.
Created by the 3 Co-Founders and Core Faculty of Expressive Arts Florida Institute, an internationally - acclaimed expressive arts training program.
- Kathleen Horne, MA, LMHC, Registered Expressive Arts Consultant Educator (REACE), Registered Expressive Arts Therapist (REAT)
- Tamara Teeter Knapp, BA, Certified K-12 Art Teacher, REACE
- Victoria Domenichello-Anderson, MA, REACE
We are three Registered Expressive Arts Consultant Educators (REACE) and we are dedicated to bringing quality expressive arts education and training to interested people worldwide. Read our bios here
Creative Wisdom is a truly excellent introduction to Intermodal Expressive Arts. I don't believe I have ever felt so well supported in a class, from the structure of the course, the sequence of the modules that build confidence and competence, the care taken by the instructors in every detail, and their willingness to offer themselves as guides and models for the work. Thank you EAFI! Katherine Ziff
This is a training, as distinct from a workshop. In addition to a rich and deep experiential process, you will also receive a basic overview and understanding of the field of Expressive Arts. You will learn some ways of integrating the key elements of Expressive Arts into your work, whether you are a counselor, educator, healthcare professional, spiritual director, coach, or artist, (to name just a few), or someone who is simply feeling called or drawn to this field, wanting to know and learn more. Whatever your interest, we would be happy to welcome you!
The Expressive Arts Florida Institute is amazing - really top notch faculty and well thought out comprehensive programming. The core faculty have many years of training themselves, and this comes through in their meticulous attention to all aspects of training others including theory and application. I have taught in many places around the world and I always look forward to returning to the Expressive Arts Florida Institute.
Mitchell Kossak PhD, LMHC, REAT
HERE ARE THE DETAILS OF CREATIVE WISDOM:
What is it?
An introductory training in the field of Expressive Arts, taught entirely online.
When is it?
It begins whenever you register. Once you are signed in to the course, you will receive a Welcome Lesson and Lesson 1 immediately, and then a lesson every week for 8 weeks. You may work through it on your own schedule and you have unlimited access for as long as you like.
How is it delivered?
This course is a self-study, on-demand format, allowing you to work at you own pace, in your own time. There is no "live" component to the basic course. As a supplement to the course, you will receive complimentary access to three live Expressive Arts Discovery workshops. These are held monthly, and you can choose which ones to attend, if you decide to participate. These are optional.
What is included?
- A "Welcome" lesson, to get your started, as soon as you register.
- 8 lessons, delivered to you automatically, at weekly intervals. Each lesson is a combination of videos, audio meditations, written materials, experiential arts processes, inspirational and educational resource lists, examples, suggested applications, and more.
- Complimentary access to 3 live online Expressive Arts Discovery workshops.
- Complimentary registration in Expressive Arts Discovery Self-Study workshop.
- Once you have completed the course, you will be invited to join a live (and recorded) webinar with faculty, to focus on the question "what's next?"
What will I learn?
- What Expressive Arts is, and how it is both distinct from, and related to, other fields
- Where did this field come from? What is the history?
- How, where, why, and by whom is it practiced?
- What are the qualifications needed?
- Practising within your area of competency
- Personal Practice - why it is important and how to create one
- The intermodal or integrated arts approach, and how to move from one modality to another
- How to apply some of the key elements and processes in to your current work
- Witnessing and responding to images - both your own and others
- Approaches to expressive arts, concentrating on the EAFI approach
- Examples of applications of the work
- How Expressive Arts can focus on individuals, partners, groups, communities, and social action
- Potent and powerful examples of expressive arts experiences - one per lesson - that you fully engage in personally - developing both your personal and professional skills
How is it taught?
We teach all of our trainings, including this one, in an experiential style. Each lesson will include a process for you to engage with. For instance, to learn the intermodal arts process, we will lead you in a guided meditation, give you a prompt, guide you through each arts modality, and then ask you to write and reflect on your experience. This experience will be supplemented with written material, video, guidelines for facilitating, resources, and more. This approach promotes holistic learning. It is important that anyone leading others in this work has done the process themselves, and understands the territory from the inside out. This training provides you with both a cognitive understanding and a meaningful personal process.
Who is it for?
- Anyone looking for a professionally taught entry point into the field
- Anyone trying to decide whether or not to commit to a full training
- Anyone interested in bringing additional creativity to their work and life, while not wanting or needing a full training
- Potential certificate training students who would like to test it out, without having to travel
- Therapists, educators, coaches, healthcare professionals, spiritual directors, artists, and more, looking for some additional creative skills and practices
- Anyone seeking the benefits of expert instruction with leaders in the field, in an online format and lower cost
Where will it take me?
At the end of this training, you will have completed a personal and professional journey that will prepare you to make creative changes in both your personal and professional life. You will have developed a good beginning in a personal practice that sustains you, and you will have skills and tools that you can begin to apply with clients or students (depending on your prior experience and/or training). You will earn a certificate of completion for 16 hours of Expressive Arts training. If you are an LMHC, LCSW, or LMFT you will receive 16 CEU's. If you are enrolling in our certificate training program, this course will replace our Orientation course and give you additional credit towards certificate completion.
How much does it cost?
We know there are many of you out there who are passionate about learning this work, and looking for an accessible entry point.
If you would like to register with a single payment of $297 use this link (or the button at the top of this page)
If you are a LMHC, LCSW, LMFT, and you would like to earn 16 CEU's, please use this link to register.
I enjoy my association with the Expressive Arts Florida Institute. They have a great balance of professionalism and warmth. I’ve known their work for years and find them to be consistently creative, clear and knowledgeable.
Markus Scott-Alexander, PhD, REAT
Senior Faculty, European Graduate School, Switzerland and Malta; Director, World Arts Organization, Edmonton, Canada
Frequently Asked Questions
This is more expensive that your other online workshops. Why?
The distinction is that this is a professional training, rather than a workshop. Whether you take it as a stand-alone training, or integrate it in to the certificate training program, you are completing a course of study that you can add to your resume, and count toward professional registration through IEATA. Rather than falling under the category of "personal practice", this is "professional practice". In our approach, the professional is built upon the personal practice, so the lessons you receive in this course are experiential in nature.
Do I need to show up "live"?
No. This is a self-study training, meaning that you can do it on your own time, and at your own pace. We suggest that you set a time each week to work on it, just like you would if you needed to show up in-person for a class. This provides you with the discipline and structure to work through the lessons, and allows YOU to choose the time and day. And, if once a week is too often to fit in to your life, work on it every two weeks. There is no rush. Do it in the way that is right for you.
As a bonus, you receive free access to three live sessions of Expressive Arts Discovery, our monthly 90-minute expressive arts virtual workshops. You will have a choice about whether you sign up, and, if you do (we hope you will), choose the dates that work for you. We realize that some of you may not be available for any of the dates and times, and, because of that possibility, we are also giving you access to our Expressive Arts Self-Study workshop.
How do I get a Certificate of Completion?
After you complete all the lessons, you will receive a link to a quiz link and to an evaluation link. In the quiz link you will be asked to describe some of your experience with the lessons, and what you learned. It is designed to determine that you engaged with the course material, and did the experiential lessons. The evaluation is an opportunity for you to give us feedback about the course quality, content and delivery. This is very important to us, as we are always updating and refining our programs. We hold ourselves to a very high standards, and your feedback helps us tremendously.
I am a therapist. Can I get CEU's?
Yes! LMHC, LCSW, LMFT receive 16 CEU's. We, as an approved Florida provider, issue you a CEU certificate when you have completed the course, filled out the evaluation, and taken the quiz. There is a $25 CEU fee, payable upon course registration.
I am not a therapist. Is this training for me?
Absolutely! There are many pathways and opportunities into the field of expressive arts that are outside of the paradigm of psychotherapy. More than half of the students in our certificate training program are not therapists. It is great for therapists, too. Several of our graduates have started expressive arts businesses, workshop series, community programming, and much more.
If I decide later to apply for admission to the EAFI Certificate Training in Expressive Arts, how will this training integrate with that?
This training will replace our Orientation course and give you additional credits as well. We are designing it both as a stand-alone training and also a fully integrated part of the certificate program.
If I complete this training as a stand -alone, and don't do more Expressive Arts training, how does this benefit me - personally and professionally?
At the end of this training, you will have completed a personal and professional journey that will prepare you to make creative changes in both your personal and professional life. You will have developed a good beginning in a personal practice that sustains you, and you will have skills and tools that you can begin to apply with clients or students (depending on your prior educations and training).In addition to receiving a certificate of completion, you have the opportunity to participate in a live (and recorded) webinar that addresses your questions about "what's next?"
I have no experience with the arts. Am I welcome and will I still benefit?
Absolutely! One of the benefits is a re-connection with your creative birthright, which we all have. The process works with all skill and experience levels, and the results are just as significant.
I am more interested in a personal journey than a professional training. Is this for me?
You will certainly get a personal journey in this course. If, however, you are more interested in a workshop than a training. we recommend Art as a Healing Practice Self-Study, which is an online on-demand workshop.
Please note: There are no refunds for online courses.
Kathleen, Victoria and Tamara of Expressive Arts Florida Institute are inspiring teachers and worthy guides dedicated to sharing the riches and magic of the expressive arts with others.
Pat B. Allen, PhD., ATR
Co-Founder, Open Studio Project; Author: Art is a Way of Knowing, Art is a Spiritual Path