About this Course
ABC's of an American Accent in 8 weeks
Oct. 1-Nov. 19, 2019
This online course teaches you how to speak clearly with an American Accent. After years of studying English grammar, reading and writing, do you get frustrated when people still can't understand you? Do you have to repeat yourself more than once a day? If yes, this course is for you.
This is a 8 week Scheduled Course with weekly video lessons released on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Each lesson is designed with activities and assignments to learn the critical techniques of articulation and intonation to change your accent. Your assigned audio recordings receive feedback for self-correction. You will learn the differences between speaking your language and English. You will develop new motor skills and brain coordination to change your accent. You can access, practice and repeat the lessons at your convenience, indefinitely.
On Sunday at 8:00 CST, join our live teleconference to review, ask questions and get real time coaching and feedback. Being a part of the community will help you establish goals, accountability and practice partners. Webinars can be replayed to watch again.
Think of all the benefits....
- Your self-confidence grows
- Job performance ratings go up
- You gain respect and credibility
- Contributing ideas and expressing yourself are convincing in team & customer interactions
- Personal and Professional Conversations are clearly understood
- Presentations are effective, powerful and engaging
- Your career opportunities and levels of success expand
This course teaches you the basic fundamental speaking skills, you did NOT learn in school. Speaking is unconscious. You will identify what to correct, how to correct it, what you must change, from your native accent, to sound more American, plus how to reprogram your brain to establish this new speaking habit.
You will learn:
- Mouth and tongue exercises to strengthen your muscles to say the English alphabet correctly
- Correct placement of your tongue, mouth and lips for American English
- The Consonant Families
- Voiced and Unvoiced Consonant differences and why that's important
- The Six Important Sounds of the American Accent
- SCHWA - The most used sound in English.
- Using Minimal Pair exercises and repetition to retrain your brain and muscles
- 8 Note Scale for Intonation and Pitch Change
- Stress: Which Syllables and Words need stress for emphasis
- The Intonation Patterns of American English for fluency
- The pronunciation rules for past tense "ed" in regular verbs.
- The rules for "s" pronounced as "z."
- How to record yourself and listen for self-correction.
- How to mark sentences for intonation and comprehension.