About this Course
Friends, we are thrilled to share an invitation for you to join us in the Embodiment Lab!
For years we've been teaching this incredible work in beautiful studios in Salt Lake City, Utah.
We usually teach to two dozen people (at the most) at a time. While we love the intimacy of that size for a live gathering, and while we utterly cherish our local live community, we've realized that in a sense the room has become too small and that many more than 2 dozen people at a time could really benefit from this potent work. So we've created an online learning lab where you can join us in this life-giving education from anywhere in the world - and all at your own convenience.
Can I get a WOOOOOHOOOOOO!?!?!
I made a little video to tell you a bit about it.
Of course, the exploration of Inner Authority, Bodily Sovereignty, and Your Inner Teacher is where we must begin the Embodiment Lab adventure! This way of learning is absolutely foundational for everything else. It can utterly change how you interact with every other situation in your life in such potent and healing ways.
By enrolling in this course, you’ll enjoy:
- Four unique 30 minute-long instructional course videos plus an audio-only version of the lessons. (We hope to provide transcripts for each lesson as well... there will likely be a week turnaround time from video release until the transcript is posted.) Each lesson will contain a talk, a guided practice, and invitations to work/play/explore on your own. The first lesson is released on the 1st of the month, then weekly thereafter. You can access them at any time - they are prerecorded just for you.
- Four unique and accessible Embodied Movement Lessons provided as downloadable or streamable audio recordings.
- Two live 60-minute group conferences via Zoom with Erin & Carl. (Recordings will be available if you miss the live calls, and you’re most welcome to send your questions in via email.) Wednesday, October 30 at 6pm Mountain & Sunday, October 20th at 9am mountain. Calculate your time zone here.
- A wealth of additional resources including:
- movement quickies,
- amazing articles,
- gorgeous poetry,
- guided meditations,
- bonus somatic practices,
- bonus short videos,
- experiential anatomy teachings,
- embodied mindfulness practices,
- and potent embodied inquiries.
- Oh, it's going to be so rrrrrich!
- Optional opportunities to engage with Carl & Erin as well as the other learners in the private Embodiment Lab online group space. One of our great blessings is the incredible communities who gather around this work. You will meet some incredible, wise, kind, and authentic people of greatly varied backgrounds and ages who share so much wisdom and make the course so much richer. Community conversations will happen inside Ruzuku so you don't have to get on a social media platform to engage.
- Invitations and reflections to help you step off the self-improvement treadmill. Sense how your own embodied learning can help not just you, but this world. Feel into what it is that is yours to do. When we contextualize our learning beyond just ourselves, we find so much meaning, energy, and inspiration. As Paul Hawken says, "You are brilliant and Earth is hiring!"
- You'll have ongoing access to all the course materials via our easy to use online platform on Ruzuku. You may also download all the lessons to your own devices.
- Each month centers around a unique theme. We can hardly wait! Read more about upcoming themes here.
- For us, it's a given, but we'll make it explicit: We promise to treat you with the utmost respect and kindness, which itself can be powerfully reorganizing when you're accustomed to people trying to help and fix you. :) We'll never be bossy or shaming. We do our best to create a vibrant, welcome, learning context where you can feel safe to experiment and make lots of mistakes. (That's how you become an expert, after all!) Having some gentle, invitational guidance to reclaim the birthright of your own incarnation and your own organic learning process can be so helpful and life-giving. We do our best to make it as down-to-earth, fun, engaging, respectful, spacious, practical, rich yet not-overwhelming, and beauty-filled as possible.
Cost is only $50 USD for each month of the Embodiment Lab!
While the price will change in the future, you will have access to as many future months as you like at the monthly price at which you first signed up for the Lab. So if you join us now, your cost will continue to be just $50 a month to participate in the monthly courses. We're starting with the price super low to encourage you to jump in and join us because it's going to be sooooooo excellent and we really hope to see you there! You can stay with us in the lab over months or years or you can also opt to cancel at any time. We're creating this vibrant learning space so we can share so much of what we love about embodied learning and practices and perspectives that we wish everyone had access to. We've got at least 5 years worth of materials at the ready. So let's get started!!!!
We also have 3 scholarship spots we'll be donating per month:
Please contact us if you’re interested in the work yet unable to afford the $50 cost without hardship. Once you contact us, we’ll add you to the list of potential scholarship recipients for that month. Please include in your email how you think this course will be of benefit in your life and anything you'd like to say about why the cost is a hardship at this time. We’ll be delighted to choose 3 recipients each month to join us for that edition of the Embodiment Lab at a pay-what-you-can rate.
If you would like to assist us in keeping this work accessible or if you have been gifted financial assistance previously and now wish to extend this generosity to others, please contact us to make a donation to our scholarship fund.
You may also contact us if you’d like to gift membership to the Embodiment Lab to someone you love. You may gift any number of months you’d like!
“Make of yourself a light,” said the Buddha, before he died.
I think of this every morning as the east begins to tear off its many clouds of darkness,
to send up the first signal – a white fan streaked with pink and violet, even green..."
We love this opening line from Mary Oliver’s poem, The Buddha’s Last Instruction. When we look at a sunrise, a sunset, a unique play of light across a floor, light shining on water, we often reflect on these last words of the Buddha. How do I make of myself a light?
One of our shared central life passions is the exploration of learning, teaching, and exploring contexts which support others in finding and honing that unique inner compass and reliable embodied guidance.
We are so looking forward to this month of experiential, embodied explorations of Embodying Inner Authority, Bodily Sovereignty & Discovering Your Inner Teacher in the October 2019 Embodiment Lab. Join us!
This beloved poem from William Stafford points toward finding that priceless inner compass:
“When I Met My Muse,”
by William Stafford
I glanced at her and took my glasses
off - they were still singing. They buzzed
like a locust on the coffee table and then
ceased. Her voice belled forth, and the
sunlight bent. I felt the ceiling arch, and
knew that nails up there took a new grip
on whatever they touched. “I am your own
way of looking at things,” she said. “When
you allow me to live with you, every
glance at the world around you will be
a sort of salvation.” And I took her hand.
Could it be possible that your own unique way of looking at things could be a sort of salvation?
Could it be likewise true for your own unique way of sensing and feeling and living in an embodied way?
Um, Yes. Absolute. Unequivocal. YES.
This perspective invites us to hold a kind of paradox:
How do we open to inspiration, blessings, feedback, guidance, new possibilities from teachers, situations, pain, pleasure, our real lives; while at the same time, not surrendering our own capacity to sense and live from our inner compass, our bullshit detector, our non-verbal truth resonators, our body's continuous and ongoing feedback of so many kinds.
How can we be an adult, autonomous learner, tuned to our own inner compass, in any situation?
Is some old message you received from who-knows-where influencing the way you're walking, the way you're holding your legs when you sit, the way you're exhausting yourself by sucking in your belly or pushing yourself too hard?
Is there some old voice in your body-mind holding you back from your truer, more authentic, more free life?
Is there some internalized authority you're rebelling against?
Might it be nice to be liberated from some of that old shit?
I mean, RIGHT??!!
We work with this at such a profound, deep level when we include movement, embodiment, somatic habits and our physical way of being our self and doing our life, and not just our thoughts and concepts. It's deep. It's potent. And it's so worth doing.
A powerful pointing from Moshe Feldenkrais is this:
“The mature human being is one who has re-appropriated inner authority.”
In fact, a central intention of the Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement lessons is to support people in doing just that – removing outer authority from our inner lives. This is deep and infinitely rewarding work. And the improvement of aches and pains happens to be a wonderful side effect.
It can be so easy to simply accept the perspective of someone deemed an authority: a doctor, a teacher, an internet article, a self-proclaimed expert on ___, or fill in your own blank. We often take this at face value and honor it over and above the truth of our own direct, bodily experience, our own unique way of looking at and feeling our lives.
As Parker Palmer says:
“Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic self-hood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be. As we do so, we will not only find the joy that every human being seeks–we will also find our path of authentic service in the world.”
Let's explore embodying Inner Authority, Bodily Sovereignty, and Your Inner Teacher!
We hope you'll consider joining us in October in the Embodiment Lab!
Wishing you an unshakable connection with your own inner teacher,
Carl & Erin