About this course
We're sorry, but this course is full and registration has now closed. You can find details of Sara's other online courses here.
Join Sara Wickham and colleagues from around the world for a week of online learning, discussion and reflection which will help update you on new birth-related research and thinking. You'll feel refreshed, inspired and full of information and ideas to use in your practice and share with women and families.
Dates: November 15-22, 2019 (with all course materials available for another 21 days after that in case life happens and you need to catch up).
Venue: Your computer (and most of the content is smartphone and tablet friendly too!)
Includes: videos, podcasts, discussions, loads of downloadable resources, ideas, peer sharing and support, an experienced facilitator and a live webinar.
Click 'Register Now' to book your place.
Or read on to find out more...
The details in depth...
I know from experience that many midwives and birth folk just don't have the time to keep up with all the new birth-related information that is being published. Much of it is not relevant, and some is one-sided or not undertaken from a woman-centred perspective.
It's hard to know what to trust, and it can also be hard to learn the skills that will help you be more discerning in the future.
I am offering a solution to this.
I am a midwife, educator, author and researcher, and it's my job to stay on top of the evidence relating to pregnancy and birth. I have brought together a selection of the key information and research from the past year or so and crafted it into an online course which will help you get up-to-date with the evidence, get to grips with the detail of some of the key debates and enable you to better help women and families.
In this course, you'll be able to:
- Get updated on the latest evidence on many birth-related topics, with the help of video lectures, podcasts, written material, questions and discussions
- Join me and your course colleagues for a live webinar looking at the very latest research.
- Download printable handouts and worksheets to give you a head start with your notes and reflections.
- Explore the latest research findings in a series of video lectures offering 'research round-ups' on different aspects of pregnancy and birth.
- Learn more about how to read, appraise and carry out research as I explain elements of research in depth.
- Discuss strategies, share information and give and receive support with midwives and birth folk from around the world.
- Learn from real-life stories, scenarios and sharing, not just 'the evidence'.
- Get lots of material to reflect upon in your portfolio (and, of course, a certificate to say you were here!)
- Connect personally with me, as I will be online with you during the facilitated week of the course. You can ask me questions and participate in a live webinar which I will facilitate and which will bring together midwives and birth folk from around the world.
In this particular run of the course, some of the key topics include:
- An overview of 'the big stories' from the past year or so.
- Videoed research round ups on pregnancy, labour and birth, and postnatal and neonatal wellbeing.
- Exploration of the results of the 'AFFIRM' and 'ARRIVE' trials.
- A focus section and research updates on induction of labour.
- New thinking on the practice of checking the placenta and a focus section on 'placentas, cords, cells and culture'.
- Discussion of research and practice on social networking, information and women.
- Sleep safety, support strategies and sex after birth.
- A focus throughout on woman-centred care, and a bonus video and discussion on positive ways of addressing negativity.
- A smörgåsbord of resources for discussion and debate.
- The best blog posts of the past year or so.
- 'Stop press' updates if key research emerges during the facilitated week of the course.
- And that's just a taster - there's lots more inside!
If this sounds good to you, just scroll back up and click the 'Register' button to join us :)
Who is it for?
If you are a midwife, midwifery student, birth educator, doula, doctor, medical student, health professional, yoga teacher, birth activist, holistic therapist or birth worker who is woman-centred and interested in updating your knowledge, discussing new research and sharing experiences in a friendly community with myself and a group of like-minded people from around the world, then this course is designed for you.
Other people are very welcome to join us too, but please be aware that this is a professional CPD course and some of the discussions are likely to be technical. The nature of our modern culture requires me to make it clear that nothing that I or any course participant says or writes in this course can be taken to constitute professional midwifery or medical advice and that by signing up to join this course you agree that you understand and accept that.
Who isn't it for?
I don't want you to sign up for this course if it's not right for you! If you already feel that you're really up-to-date with birth-related research, then this probably isn't the course for you. If you don't have a woman-centred approach, you probably won't like what I have to say. And if you like to argue, then you might not enjoy the friendly, supportive community that you'll find in my online courses. We really do care that you pick education that will meet your needs, so if you're not sure if this course is right for you, just flick an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll try to help.
What will you find when you come in?!
Your course includes a range of videos, podcasts, written resources, discussions and links to wider material. Each discussion or topic comes in a separate lesson which means that you can work through the course in manageable, understandable chunks. You'll find printable handouts and other written resources which you can print or download for later personal use if you would like to. The course also includes a webinar where I'll present live and be available to chat and answer your questions. Plus, of course, you'll get to interact with myself during the facilitated week of the course and you'll get a whole month to go through the material and chat with other participants in the discussion threads.
Please be warned though ... this isn't e-learning where you just jump from one written slide to the next! There are twelve hours' worth of high-quality interactive learning material in this course. You can pick and choose what you want to do to suit your own needs, but if you want to make the most of the course, you'll need to set aside some time, ideally in the facilitated week of the course, which is when most of the action and discussion happens.
I want you to feel refreshed, to be heartened by stories and suggestions and support from others, and to feel more secure in your own knowledge and experience.
Just scroll back up and click the registration button above to join us.
Dates for your diary...
All of the course materials will become available to you from Friday 15th November, which means that those of you who have more time at the weekend can begin to work through the course then. I will pop in on that day and over the weekend and then join you more fully in the discussions from Monday morning (November 18th) until Friday lunchtime (November 22nd) ... that's the period that I'm referring to as the facilitated week of the course. During that time I will be available to chat and answer your questions and I will host a live webinar on Thursday 21st November (9am UK time).
I know your life is busy and you might not get to study everything during the facilitated week of the course, so you'll get to keep access to the materials for a further three weeks after that (until Friday 13th December) in case you need more time to catch up or go over anything. You can also download many of the written resources for later personal use.
I can't wait to chat to you on the course! Places are limited though, and course enrollment will close once we are full.
With my very best wishes,
P.S. This is really important!
When you register, you will be sent an email to confirm your registration and welcome you to the course.
******* If you do not receive this email, please contact us at email@example.com immediately *******
The most likely reasons for not receiving confirmation are that you have accidentally mistyped your email address or that the confirmation email has gone into your spam/junk folder ... if it's there, please add our email address to your 'safe sender' list. We cannot be responsible for this, or for you not being able to access the course/get a refund as a result of this kind of error, and we have no way of getting in touch with you if you have entered your email address incorrectly or if your server won't accept our emails, so please type your email address carefully, check for a confirmation email and get in touch right away if it doesn't arrive!
How much learning is in here?
This course contains 12 hours of learning, which equates to two full days of study. UK-based midwives might like to know that 8 hours of this time qualifies as participatory learning according to the NMC definition of this term. However, you can pick and choose the path you take through the course, and you don't need to do all of it if you'd rather concentrate on particular areas. You can also download some of the reading for personal use later if you prefer.
Do I have to do it all at once?
No; that's the beauty of an online course like this. You get a whole week of facilitated learning and you'll be able to access the materials for a further three weeks after the facilitated week of the course ends in case life happens and you need to catch up. However, we recommend that you try to engage in as many of the discussions as possible during the facilitated week of the course, as this is where a lot of the interaction and the 'a-ha' moments happen!
Will I get a certificate?
Yes, you'll get a certificate for your portfolio at the end of the course.
What have other people said about Gathering in the Knowledge?
I'm so glad you asked! ;) Here are some of the comments that previous participants in Gathering in the Knowledge have shared with us...
A fantastic course from which I have learnt, absorbed and considered so much; thank you to everyone involved for their time and effort in making this such a valuable thing to do! Midwife, UK.
Another great course, thank you. I much look forward to topping up each year. Midwife, Australia.
I've really enjoyed the course and the wealth of information you've provided on this course Sara. Midwife, New Zealand.
Sara thank you for making research so interesting and easier to understand and critique. This course has definitely made me look deeper and question my practice. I feel ready to go back to work, all full of knowledge and research evidence to discuss with colleagues and share with clients. Midwife.
I would definitely recommend this course to my colleagues! Midwife, UK.
Wow! This has been great! Thank you. It has been so useful because of the way you look at research and critique it, and can see through the obvious results and conclusions. Some of what you said was new, some of what you said I already knew but it was great to now have the resources and evidence to back up my practice or question it! Thank you! I would love to do this yearly! Midwife, India.
One of the things I love about your course is the discussions it generates among the participants. Thanks for another brilliant course. Midwife and Childbirth Educator, Australia.
A huge thank you Sara!! So much , so helpful... Midwife, Spain.
Thank you so much for this course. I love the layout and structure of the course. It was easy to dip in and out of it when I had time (a few hours during the day, lying in bed at night, etc). So much great content, I didn't want to skip any of it. I loved all the short videos and your discussions of various studies. You are the only person that has made reading a research paper easy or understandable. Midwife.
Thanks for creating this course. It's an invaluable resource. Doula and yoga teacher.
All the small print ... cancellations, transfers and refunds
In a situation where a participant wishes to change or cancel their enrolment in an online course, we offer the following options. A participant may only take up one of these options once.
- If you wish to withdraw from the course up to 14 days after confirmation of your purchase and before the course has started, we will issue a full refund provided the course hasn’t yet started. The refund can only be issued through our payment provider by the means and in the currency that you paid and we cannot compensate for any exchange rate fluctuations. It can take several days to be paid back onto your card.
- If you wish to withdraw from the course more than 14 days after confirmation of your purchase and at least 24 hours before the course has started, we cannot offer a refund, but you can sell/transfer your place to a colleague or friend. We may be able to transfer your place to another course, but this is at our discretion and it will depend on whether and when we plan to run the same course again.
- Refunds are not available once a course has started and you have been given access to the materials. If your circumstances change after you register and/or you think you might experience difficulty completing the course then please let us know at least 24 hours before the course begins. Online courses are like DVDs or CDs in that, once they have been opened (and if you have registered and paid for a course then we will consider that your access to the course will have been opened to you at midnight in your time zone on the start date), they cannot be returned.
All requests for refunds or changes must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and not via social media, please, because we can't guarantee that we will see queries there. It is your responsibility to ensure that we have received your email within the stated timeframe, so please email us again if you are unsure.
While we make every effort to run courses as advertised, we are a small, friendly, family-run business so we reserve the right to change course content and timings in the event of unforeseen illness, power outage or other similar issue. Rest assured that, if that ever happens, we'll find a way of making it up to you. We've never needed to cancel a course yet but, if we ever do, we'll give a full refund to participants. We've only ever had lovely people attend our courses but we reserve the right to suspend any student who disrupts the course.
Terms and Conditions
This course is for individual use only. Each participant needs to pay for a course place and secure their own username and password. We reserve the right to suspend access if a user logs in on an unusual number of devices, as this can be a sign of illegal password sharing. Unless stated otherwise in the individual lesson, all of the course content is copyright. Videos, podcasts and written materials may not be shared with others in any form, including photographs or screenshots on social media. The course is designed to help those working with pregnant and birthing women and new families to stay up-to-date with birth-related research and thinking. Signing up to the course indicates your acceptance that you will not attempt to use the materials in this course to teach colleagues or others who work in this way. We fully support you to use your new-found knowledge in your work or childbirth classes but you may not directly use our materials to do so. We are a small, family-run business. If you think that others would benefit from our course, please encourage them to sign up themselves, as this will also help us to create more courses as well as continue to offer free materials on Sara's website. Please contact us before signing up if you need clarification on any of this.
My question isn't answered here!
No worries ... If you have any other questions, just email and ask!
To join us, just scroll back up and click the registration button. The number of places on this course is limited.
Wow, you've read all the way to the bottom - thank you! I hope you'll join us and I look forward to chatting with you in the course! :)