About this course
Illustration is key to story-telling. It is what gives your creativity an avenue of play. If you want to grow in the area of different body poses, color studies, and building an amazing library of your own shapes and elements then you will LOVE this class. It doesn't have to be elaborate or realistic. Illustration is meant for the magic and imagination. No rules!! Except it does help to have some tools for your creative tool belt when you sit down to work. That is what this class is all about!
We will be focusing and studying extensively on the work of Mary Blair. Her playful work really speaks to me, not only because it's just so beautiful but she builds on simple shapes (and to me that breaks it down in a way that doesn't overwhelm me). We will work with 2 of her books to inspire the lessons.
I hope this class helps you to grow and to learn some fun techniques on breaking down work into simple shapes. We will talk about color with color studies. We will play with how she layers those shapes into stunning backgrounds. We will build libraries of shapes..... geometric and organic. I will have lessons for different body poses in a cool, un-intimidating way. Having these lessons will grow your tool belt when you sit down to work. We will do one master copy from her Up and Down book as well as using her work as a jumpstart into her process of layering and using textures to build the story. And then of course get inspired by her color combinations.
David Buckley's lesson
My goal is for your vocabulary to widen. And what I mean about vocabulary is the "what to paint". It is the things you add to your painting/illustration. The small elements that help to tell your story.
- Class is live and active now!
- Registration - $199
- LIFETIME ACCESS
- 45 total videos with over 12 hours of video content
- Guest Artists: David Buckley, Tangie Baxter, Colleen Harrington, and Sarah Hand
- talk about the different gouaches and how to use them
- color study
- geometric shape building
- Pattern play - 3 different lessons
- teacup girl
- a finished larger piece (similar to the one above incorporating what we have learned)
- body pose - girl sitting
- profile faces - looking up, looking down, baseball boy
- I can fly collage project
- cardboard doll
- Girl laying in flower
- Flower Garden
Goals for your creative tool belt:
- learn to build muscle memory by shape building
- how to add subtle textures to enrich your illustration piece
- create beautiful color combinations doing color studies of Mary's work
- extensively study Mary Blair's Golden book collective to grow and evolve. Getting inspired by elements and poses.
Is this class beginner friendly ? This class is for all levels. My advice if you've never painted girls then I highly recommend to take Find Your Girl before this class. (or at least one of my faces classes)
How long will I have access to the course? Lifetime access.
Do I need all the supplies on the supply list? No, I am all about using what you have on hand. An inexpensive set of gouache (such as Arteza) will be the most important supply of this class.
Will there be a Facebook group? No sorry. we will share in the classroom and through instagram.
**SUPPLY list will be emailed to you upon signup. Using what you have on hand is strongly encouraged. This class is not about having the right or exact products but is all about the process of layering gouache and using it to build texture. The most important supplies will be a journal, a gouache set, and some watercolor pencils.
Sarah Hand's project