About this course
Please register and pay here for the VSQ + GAAQG workshop
3hrs Live with Lyric via Zoom Dec 9th, 10am - 1pm Eastern
2 Days access to this full online collection of videos and written instruction
Painlessly create beautiful designs with intricate detail, perfect for quilts, wearables, borders or accents. Long flowing, curly borders or pictures with the sharpest points and thinnest lines imaginable are possible with this easy method using fusible web. Combine fabrics such as silk and wool for wearables or stick to quilting cottons tried and true. Give your design that extra punch with the added dimension of trapunto... without all the slitting and stuffing!
Kits Available Here
Please order by Dec 1 or earlier for on-time delivery
Please check out the first lesson here to print off your handout and pattern and check your supplies.
How Our Class Will Work on December 9, 2020
Register: As you pay for this course you will be asked to register by entering your email and creating a password at Ruzuku.com.
Going forward, you will log in to Ruzuku.com, click the Sign In button on the top right, then go to the Playful Portraiture class space.
Prepare: You will have immediate access to the first two lessons that includes the Zoom link, the supply list, a place for you all to introduce yourself, and some videos that I'd love you to watch ahead of time. They aren't necessary but you will have a quicker jumpstart if you do watch them.
Day before class: You will receive emailed reminders before class starts with the Zoom link and a repeat of the instructions. In the wee hours of the morning before the live Zoom class begins, all video instructions in the Ruzuku.com Abstract-A-Licious class space will be opened. Feel free to browse through them and get a head start on the class project if you wish.
30 minutes before the live instruction: The Zoom meeting room will be open early. Please log in early to make sure your are properly connected. Lyric can help you work through tech issues then and say hello to your classmates.
December 9th, 9:30am EST: Lyric will give a short tutorial on how Zoom meetings work and then the fun begins! For three straight hours Lyric will work with you, sharing both video and live tutorials, answering your questions, helping you learn the techniques.
Next 48+ hours: You will then continue to have access to the video lessons until midnight the day after class.
You will have the option to purchase permanent access to the video lessons in an on-demand Abstract-A-Licious class at a greatly reduced cost.
When we meet together please have these things ready:
Print Pattern Ahead of Class
- PATTERN: When you register the first lesson will have choice of three different PDF patterns. Choose one and have it printed out ahead of class.
- You will need to print off a pattern onto two letter-sized pages and tape them together before class. You will find the lesson as you click through to the next session here.
- Zig-zag sewing machine (Oiled and clean, open toe embroidery foot if you have one, smaller
- needle such as 70/10, 75/11 needle, extra bobbins if you buy a kit!)
- Size 75/11 machine needles
- Small, pointy, sharp scissors
- Paper scissors
- Pencil, Sharpie, White pencil
- Lightweight thread to match fabrics.
- If your top fabric is patterned, match thread to its darkest color.
Gather these supplies (they are in the mail if you purchased a kit.)
- 1/2 yd Wonder-Under or other fusible web that is “sewable” (not heavy-weight W-U)
- One fat quarter of dark or light plain fabric, no large prints
- One solid or hand-dyed fat quarter of fabric that contrasts highly with your first fabric
- One solid fat quarter that contrasts with BOTH of your first two fat quarters.
- One fat quarter fabric for back of quilt
- Batting, two fat quarters - one puffy, one flat. I prefer one piece of Quilters Dream Puff and one Hobbs Heirloom Cotton.
- 1/2 yd lightweight tear-away stabilizer
- Darning foot or other free-motion quilting foot for your machine
- Extension cord, lamp Lightbox
- Applique scissors, pinking shears
- Pressing surface, mini iron, rotary cutter, cutting mat
- A rotating cutting mat can be very useful if you already have one
- Sewing machine with zig-zag required.