About this Course
*****VERY IMPORTANT! Please READ: After signing up, please go directly back to your email inbox and add the following email to your contact list: firstname.lastname@example.org (this allows ruzuku to send you emails about class info instead of landing in your spam folder)
******NOTE---->>>this is now a self study class. I won't be able to offer tech support or answer questions...(but I think you'll find it very user friendly and VERY resourceful tool! I also have a facebook group that you can join and bounce ideas around as well as help from my admin, Nolwenn Petitbois. Also utilizing createspace support when you are ready to upload to createspace is very helpful!)
I hope to empower you to create your own art book or text-based book through self publishing! Sometimes self-publishing can seem daunting but so can finding a publisher for the book that you've had in mind all these years. I know of folks, who have ideas and they get turned away because maybe their art is on the edgy side or maybe they aren't interested in publishing what is inspiring you at the time. I say it's time we create our own magic and create the book that we've always wanted to!!
I have created 4 self-published books, with over 6000 total books sold within a year....I have been there and I have gotten frustrated at all the information that is available. To say it is overwhelming is an understatement! I have put together this accessible, streamlined approach at creating your own book whether it be art related or a simple text-based book. I will walk you through step-by-step through the creation process. We will keep it simple! You will then have the basics under your belt should you want to expand your book publishing into more complex books later on.
There are many self publishing avenues but we will focus on publishing through Createspace (an Amazon company).
This class is not an exhaustive course on learning everything there is to know about self-publishing, but more about how to get started if you are at a loss of how to begin. I want to keep it simple and not overwhelm you with tons of information. This is my process of how I create my books. I am no expert in the field of using indesign or self-publishing but I'd love to share with you what has worked for me.
Who this class is for:
- anyone interested in learning the basics of indesign and working with createspace to self-publish
- anyone who has a book in mind or written and doesn't know the next step
- you are an artist and want to put together a collection of your inspirations/words and combine it with your art
- anyone who has been turned away from publishers
- anyone who wants to take creative control for every inch of their baby....(their book)
- anyone who has published books but had a bad experience of how their book turned out...creative control, etc. (not being able to name your book, what the interior looks like, what the interior and message is of the book)
- a poet who desparately wants to share your words with the world
- someone that has had a story in their mind for years and finally wants to take the steps to publish it
- if you are at a loss for even how to get started with self-publishing and is overwhelmed by all the info out there
- you are not tech-savvy and want an easy approach to self-publishing
- you are interested in having your book available on amazon
Who this class is not for:
- if you already know the basics of indesign and uploading to createspace
- anyone who is currently under contract with a book publisher (not sure what your contract says about self-publishing)
- anyone who is familiar with publishing with createspace and knows the in's and out's of cover trim measurements, interior measurements, scanning, lettering, etc.
Basic Computer skills that you'll need to know:
- placing in files into software such as Photoshop and Indesign
- saving files into file folders or on your desktop
- uploading files (ability to browse and find your file that you've created)
- basic photo skills
- basic scanning skills (I will show you how to scan in your lettering image but the class does not dive deep into scanning)
****----->> please note: this class is more on the basic technical side rather than the artistic developement of a book.
Sure anyone could research this information and figure it out, but I want to give you the information in a streamlined format. I flailed around for months trying to figure everything out and after several folks have asked me for help ....i just couldn't help but sharing this process. It is a learning curve that can be overwhelming. That is why I am here!
Here are some of the things we will cover:
- creating a new interior book file from indesign
- getting started with createspace and looking at the different size options, matte or glossy finish for your cover, pricing, etc.
- learning to add page numbers in indesign
- learning to add text in indesign
- adding images into your book file in indesign
- uploading files to createspace
- saving interior files and cover files as pdf's
- creating your own cover using photoshop
- using opacity for layers
- adding images
- designing a fluid flow and my suggestions for placement, etc
What you'll need:
- You will need indesign and if you want to create your own cover, you'll also need photoshop. You can do a 30 day trial with each over on Adobe's website (to see if you like it and to try it out)
- In the end, if you think you will create more books and work in photoshop, buying each piece of software is the way to go. You can also sign up for the cloud for everything for $49.99 per month.
- The non-designer's Indesign book by Robin Williams - this really is a must-have. I have bookmarked and made notes on a few of the pages. We won't be covering the whole book though, just the basics. I like to keep it simple. Accessible!
- scanner - if you are scanning in artwork. The link is for an epson v700 photo scanner. If you are on a budget, then try this one
- F&w acrylic ink - black ink
- small, soft brush for lettering
- a computer for viewing the videos. Some of the videos won't play on your iphone or ipad. plus I think it will be easier to see on a desktop computer. I'll be showing you specific, detailed things in indesign and photoshop.
- artwork that you want to use
- I will be using a mac to demonstrate the techical side, but please note that you certainly can follow along with a Pc. I don't use any fancy key-strokes. I am "PC trained" so I don't navigate like all mac users do.