About this course
The Practical Appreciative Inquiry Self-Paced Starter Course
The ideal primer for getting started with Appreciative Inquiry
"I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of great materials you've made available to me (and to the world!)
All this has exceeded my expectations, many thanks and well done on this!"
- Jason Harman, communications trainer | team facilitator | management lecturer
What's in the course?
- 42 bite-sized instructional videos with review quizzes
- Course manual
- Practical Appreciative Inquiry toolkit (includes agendas for 1-day AI summit and half-day Discovery session, appreciative interview sheets, appreciative feedback forms, suggested art materials, table facilitator briefings, suggested room layout, and tips for lead facilitators)
- Links to resources for optional further study
- $100 discount on the Practical Appreciative Inquiry live facilitator training, that you can use whenever you're ready to take it
What's in the course?
- What Is Appreciative Inquiry?
- The Neuroscience Of Appreciative Inquiry
- Built-in Negative Bias And Why We Should Redress It
- Principles Of AI 1: The Constructionist Principle
- Principles Of AI 2: The Anticipatory Principle
- Principles Of AI 3: The Poetic Principle
- Principles Of AI 4: The Positive Principle
- Principles of AI 5: The Simultaneity Principle
- Introducing The 5D Format
- The Definition Stage
- What Happens In The Definition Stage?
- Why Use Affirmative Topics?
- What Are The Characteristics Of A Good Affirmative Topic?
- A Quick Way To Define Your Affirmative Topic
- How To Flip Any Problem To An Affirmative Topic Without Ignoring Negatives
- The Discovery Stage
- What Happens In The Discovery Stage
- Why We Do Appreciative Interviews
- What Appreciative Interviewers Need To Understand
- A Business-Friendly Appreciative Interview Format
- How You Can Use Appreciative Interviews
- How To Identify Themes From Appreciative Interviews
- How To Do Appreciative Interviews With People Who Are Feeling Negative
- How To Use Appreciative Inquiry With Dull Or Uninspiring Topics
- The Dream Stage
- What Happens In The Dream Stage?
- Example Questions To Get People Dreaming
- One Possible Protocol For The Dream Stage
- Provocative Propositions
- Provocative Propositions In Larger-Scale Change
- The Design Stage
- What Happens In The Design Stage?
- How To Run The Design Stage With A Team
- Practical Considerations For Facilitating The Design Stage With A Team
- The Disney Strategy For Creativity (a brainstorming method you can easily plug into the Design stage)
- The Delivery Stage
- What Happens In The Delivery Stage, And How To Select From The Ideas Generated In The Design Stage
- A Quick, Participative Process For Getting To A High-Level Plan
- How To Manage Participation In Building Plans
- 'Delivery' Or 'Destiny'?
- Implementing Appreciative Inquiry
- Ways To Implement Appreciative Inquiry (1): Appreciative Team Development
- Ways To Implement Appreciative Inquiry (2): Appreciative Inquiry Summit
- Ways To Implement Appreciative Inquiry (3): Whole System Dialogue
- Ways To Implement Appreciative Inquiry (4): Appreciative Team Meetings
- Three Questions For Designing Your AI Intervention
- When To Use AI - And When Not To Use It
- How To 'Sell' Appreciative Inquiry To Skeptics
- Additional Resources
- Course manual
- Practical AI Toolkit (includes agendas for 1-day AI summit and half-day Discovery session, appreciative interview sheets, appreciative feedback forms, suggested art materials, table facilitator briefings, suggested room layout, and tips for lead facilitators)
- Links To Further Resources
Each topic is also covered in downloadable audio and written transcript form, if you prefer to learn that way.