About this course
Welcome to the Science and Technology Policy Academy Classes and Events Page
Here you can learn about the classes we are currently offering and our events. To sign up for our monthly newsletter so you always know about our events, new classes and the latest S&T policy news, go here. Here are the sites if you want to know more about our workshops, coaching, and done-for-you services.
- November 21, 2022, 6 pm eastern webinar: What is Equity Analysis and How Can I Use It? Registration is available until capacity is reached.
- November 21, 2022 Deadline to register for the S&T Policy Academy Pilot Class on Equity Analysis. Learn More
We all know that equity is a good thing, but in order to hold leaders accountable, you need to be able to assess a program's current equity, develop a plan to improve that equity, and then measure progress toward an equity goal. You have two opportunities to learn more about Equity Analysis.
At the webinar on November 21st, you'll hear from Dr. Stephen Plank, vice president of Research, Evaluation, Evidence and Data at the Annie E. Casey Foundation on how they conduct equity analysis. The foundation produces guidance and analysis on equity on a regular basis as illustrated in their guide that provides "7 Steps to Advance and Embed Race Equity and Inclusion Within Your Organization and their more recent reports. Other speakers will also offer their perspective on equity analysis, and organizations will tell you how you can participate in their activities. This webinar is co-hosted by Forefront and the National Science Policy Network.
In the pilot equity analysis class, you'll learn how to conduct equity analysis to answer these questions. This is a "live" class where you watch videos for content and then discuss exercises in four live weekly Q&A sessions, with a cohort of students, that will occur the weeks of November 28, and December 5, 12, and 19. The date and time of Q&A sessions is determined by class vote and recorded for those who can't make it. Since this is a pilot, the cost of the class is far lower than usual in exchange for your feedback about the class. The professional rate is $147, the student/postdoc/unemployed rate is $97 and the NSPN rate is half off at $49. The registration deadline is November 21 or until the class reaches capacity. Participants completing the program will get a digital badge. Go here to learn more and register!
Ongoing Online Classes
The S&T Policy Academy offers a certificate program for individuals who complete all four of our classes in addition to the digital badges for each class. You will receive a badge when you complete each class and the certificate when you complete all four classes. You can share the badges and certificate on LinkedIn and your CV/resume for potential employers, fellowship leaders, and others to see.
Upon completion of the certificate, students will be:
• More competitive for public policy-related fellowships and jobs because you can demonstrate your abilities through a vetted product produced during the class.
• Able to participate more actively and with greater impact in dialogues about public policy during the interview process or during meetings with policymakers through a better understanding of public policy decision-making criteria.
• Able to develop the core information of most interest to policymakers as a foundation for your discussions and communication products.
In order to obtain a certificate, you need to complete all four classes below. Classes may be taken in any order. You can also register for individual classes. Click on each to review that option.
- Level 1: Science and Technology Policy & Careers 101: Whether you’re a scientist, engineer, or health professional interested in a career in science and technology policy or a researcher who’s interested in improving how they describe the potential societal implications of their research, you need a better understanding of science and technology policy. In this class, you'll learn how the White House, Congress, and Judiciary REALLY work, receive an introduction to analytical techniques, and learn about careers at the local, state, national, and international level.
- Level 2: Public Policy Analysis: Policy analysis provides a systematic process to analyze public policy options to respond to societal challenges such as COVID-19, climate change, and homelessness.
- Level 3: Analytical Methods: Benefit-cost analysis (BCA), cost-effectiveness analysis (CEA), and risk analysis (RA)are quantitative techniques used to support the assessment of effectiveness, efficiency and equity in the policy analysis process.
- Level 4: Program Evaluation: While policy analysis focuses on the future, program evaluation looks at the past performance of a program to see if it has met its societal goals, how it can be improved, and whether funding for that program should be continued.
If you sign up for the certificate program, you receive a financial discount over individual registration. If you believe that you have attended a course that already provides you with the knowledge in one of the certificate classes, you can request a lower rate by emailing Dr. Stine.
How it Works: Students will work at their own pace with the option. You can start and end the class at anytime.
The content of the class is presented through short-taped lectures of about 15 minutes on our learning management system called Ruzuku (where you are now). You will then practice the content of each lesson through exercises that go through each step of the policy analysis.
Each month, there will be a one-hour live Q&A session where you can ask questions and students can volunteer for their exercises to be "workshopped." The date and time for the weekly Q&A session will be determined by the vote of the registered participants.
Be sure to join our Slack channel to participate in the voting for monthly office hours. Job openings and events are also posted regularly on the Slack channel.
Registration Deadline: Students can register at any time and will have immediate access to the course materials. Once you register, you will receive an invite via email to join the "on-demand" version of all four classes. You will then go to a page that provides a link to the Level 1-4 classes described above. You can connect with them all at once or as you move from one level to the next --whatever works best with your learning style.
Tuition: The tuition for the certificate program is provided below. If you are an NSPN member, click on that link to receive a half-price discount. Note that NSPN has a professional development fund where you can apply or funds to pay for S&T Policy Academy classes. The maximum is $500 annually and applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Certificate - Student/Postdoc/Unemployed - $947 Register at this link
Certificate Program - Students/Postdocs/Unemployed - NSPN Member $474 Register at this link
Certificate - Professional - $1337 Register at this link
Questions: Email Dr. Deborah Stine.
Satisfaction Guarantee: We take the success of our students seriously. So as long as you fully participate in the course (watching all the videos, doing all the assignments, participate in the monthly office hours) and work collaboratively with your instructor yet are still not satisfied with the results, I’ll refund your money no questions asked.